Saturday, January 25, 2014

It's another installment of "Small Triumphs, Gigantic Failures"!!!



SMALL TRIUMPH

Well, I am pretty proud of this one. My friend Elizabeth (The Queen) took me to the store "Accessorize" to pick something for a Christmas present. Those of you who know me may guess what I would pick at such a store. Yes, a hat. You want to know the best part of this. When I got home, I was looking for more hats on Amazon, then went on Google to search for a hat I saw Sara Bareilles wears, and I realized something:


That's the hat Elizabeth got me. Oh joy! Not the hat I was looking for, but still so nice. I'm a happy camper. Yes, I had to let the whole internet know. Moving on!

GIGANTIC FAILURE

Jetlag has been a nightmare, you guys. It took me more than a week to get used to the six hour difference. The first few nights I was going to sleep at 6 or 7 AM so, yes, this was a problem. To top it off, I sleep on a bed of nails (an old mattress) and the Princess (me) has a hard time adjusting to middle-class facilities, apparently.



Parenthesis: I will tell you, however, what I discovered those days while I lived during the night...
Our flat, Flat 1, is the Vampire Flat. One day, after tossing and turning all night, I got up from my bed at 4:30 a.m. to go to the kitchen and SURPRISE!




 Konrad was baking a cake... at 4 a.m.... and the other guys were casually chatting in the kitchen, waiting for the cake to come out. So, that's why I never see any movement in the flat before 4 p.m.... because they think the sun is overrated.



SMALL TRIUMPH

I started to work out! And I ordered a scale and some weights from Amazon. I even got a Spotify playlist titled "Work Out", so it's serious! Let's do this!






GIGANTIC FAILURE

I injured myself working out. My back is a mess. I can't even bend down to pick up my dirty socks from the floor so now they're just going to stay there. Going to the doctor next week. Maybe he'll finally pay attention to me... maybe I can be the next Robocop, because clearly my body is in shambles and needs to be replaced completely.

Yes we should

SMALL TRIUMPH

I am slowly but surely moving on with my work, reading my stuff, and I should be caught up for the first class of the term on Monday, to quickly be  left behind a week after, because I don't read fast enough. But it's OK, that's the dangerous life I like to lead.




GIGANTIC FAILURE

When you see a man washing the dishes, don't assume he has used soap. It has come to my attention twice this week that men, when they don't see something as being "that dirty" (or rather, when they are being infinitely lazy) don't use dish-washing liquid/detergent.




Let me elaborate: the guy had three dirty cups in his room--all of which he used to eat cereal--for God knows how many days. Brings them to the kitchen, "rinses" them, scrapes off the cereal leftovers with fingernail, and then places glasses on drying rack. 

YOU KNOW MY PARENTS READ THIS BLOG SO I CAN'T SAY IT BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I AM THINKING. 




Also saw that one of the guys rinsed his spoon with water after finishing his meal and proceeded to put it to air dry. I find this so disgusting in so many levels that I have started to use only one drinking glass and to wash forks and spoons that were placed on the drying rack and are clearly dirty. I ain't crazy enough to keep my own silverware... yet.


SMALL TRIUMPH

My income tax return is coming soon? Seriously guys, I've got nothing. And clearly my failures are more amusing than my triumphs.

GIGANTIC FAILURE

I forgot all the jargon I had previously learned before going back home for the holidays. I couldn't remember what the university's virtual portal was called (DUO), what our living room is called (common room), what those parties we have Tuesdays and Thursdays are called (Formals), what the papers were called (Summative and Formative), what pants were called (trousers), what the bathroom was called (loo/toilet), what the Newman Center was called (Cathsoc), etc etc etc. It's like having to learn all of it again. And to remember that traffic is reversed here and that Roundabouts are the circles of death.





SMALL TRIUMPH

Think of something... think, think, think...

Well, this one starts like a failure but it ends on a good note: remember the Crockpot I brought from America? Yup, voltage differences almost made me burn the whole house down. The thing started smoking. So, you can imagine my distress to think that I brought it all the way over here for nothing and that instead I should have left it at home and I would have had enough room on my luggage for my beloved Ninja Food Chopper...

But, someone is going to let me borrow a current adapter, so that I can actually use the Crockpot after all, yay me! And Thank God because----

GIGANTIC FAILURE

---Cooking beans on a normal pot with water is horrible. Not only does it take a gazillion years, but they taste like (*&^%$. To make matters worse, I put too much salt on them and they are horrible. But I have to eat them... that's my punishment for being so liberal with the salt.


Extra: I had a dream last night that was bizarre, to say the least. I had a tumor in my kidney so they had to remove it, so I was lying on the hospital bed, but I had no pain, so I was pleasantly surprised. I felt so good that I decided to get up and go debate Wendy Davis, that lady running for governor in Texas. In the debate, I asked her "so, when does life begin?" and people ooooh'ed and said AAAAAAAAAAAAW BURNNN!! And I ended up winning the debate and then going home, only to find the fatal truth: I had ran out of corn tortillas. Then I woke up.





-C

No comments:

Post a Comment