Friday, February 28, 2014

We kind of won the World Cup

Well, not exactly.

But let me explain: about two weeks ago (yes, I haven't been writing lately) we played our arch-enemy, Collingwood.

Apparently, this is the only team we ever play, for some reason. But out of all the times we've been scheduled to play them, they beat us once, we beat them (unofficially) once, and the third and fourth game against them were canceled.

So, when the third game was rescheduled, we were called to battle!! We gathered our best players and came out determined to show Collingwood who has the castle in this town!


It was a very hard game. And since we had so many players, I started on bench (obviously--I can never manage a full game nowadays).

My idea of working out.

They kept attacking and attempting to score throughout the whole game. But, luckily for us, our best players showed up that day!! We got the best defensive line in the county and the most badass goal keeper--she's basically the Hope Solo of Durham.


Also see: Badass National Hero who kicks ass adorably.

We were able to hold our ground for the first half--even with the ref being an absolute joke! Every time someone fell, he would call a foul, even if the person fell on her own. SERIOUSLY. THAT BAD. I had to go to confession afterwards--- pirate mouthiness unleashed.





I came in at the end of the first half and I played all of the second half. I like to think I did very well, even though I didn't get nearly close to scoring. But hey! At least my knee didn't pop and I got a couple nice passes!

This DIDN'T happen.



So they were not scoring. And we were not scoring. And last thing you know--game is over. And I'm thinking, "Oh Lord, thank you for not letting us lose."

Then the ref says, "ok, ladies! GET YOUR PLAYERS FOR THE PENALTY KICKS!"




It was 2003 all over again. You don't understand--I was the star of my football team in high school. I could score from any freaking angle... except from the PK spot. I missed most of the penalty kicks I shot that season. I was traumatized for life. So yeah, I was about to cry.

Suddenly, this was the world cup final to me. And I was soooooooooooo not going to shoot a PK.

It ended up being all of our defenders and goalie shooting the penalties. And, remember we got Hope Solo.


She stopped three penalty kicks. THREE. FREAKING BRILLIANT. But when her turn came to shoot one herself, this happened:



It's ok, though!! She stopped three shots, which meant we only had to score three goals ourselves. And we did. Three defenders= three beautifully executed pks.

And one that last one went into the net, this was me:

Even though I didn't do anything.

And we did this:





women soccer gif on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif


women soccer gif 2 on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif


IT WAS SO GLORIOUS! SERIOUSLY, ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God knows that was one of the dreams of my life.

Semi-finals in a week!!!!

MIA, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY HERO> 

No comments:

Post a Comment