Friday, October 4, 2013

Monday--I finally went into the Durham Cathedral

Not a long post. Got to go into Durham Cathedral. World Heritage Site. Built in 1133. Enormous and glorious and ridiculously stunning.

Just have to say that, because they don't let you take pics here, I had to grab all these from the internet.
when you first come in. WOAH.
A View of the altar.


the pulpit
Breath taking stained glass work
Just my favorite. The Pieta, North England style. Looking at this broke my heart into a thousand pieces.
Not sure if you are religious or if you believe in God or not. But, to me, this masterpiece of humanity, this Cathedral demonstrates our innermost need to seek God:

"You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you." -St. Agustine


Saying that Christianity has only slowed down and impaired the human race culturally, intellectually and socially is absurd. Look at this place. It is a work of art, an architectural masterpiece. Done by human hands and great genius simply for the glory of God. Anyone with a beating heart can appreciate that (I don't know about Zombies, though).


No comments:

Post a Comment