Monday, May 12, 2014

10 things about Italy that changed me...

As you all know, I went to Italy for a while. It was great, it was challenging, it changed me. Here I leave you with 10 things about Italy that changed me!

1. GELATO-----------------------------------------

You won't understand until you try it. It's like you hear angelic choirs in the background and suddenly your tastebuds go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!! I mean, there are no words. Just see it for yourself:


I had Gelato every single day of my trip (even twice in a day) until the day I got really really sick and my throat felt like it was being ripped open by tiny claws.  Here are the flavors I had:

Mango, Mango and Jasmine, Strawberry, Milk, Frutti di Bosco (wild berries--my fave), Lemon, Rum and Raisins, Pistachio, Vanilla, Pineapple.


If one could marry a food, this would be it, you guys. Right after my divorce from Bacon Cheeseburger.


2. Leonardo

Us, the people familiar with good old Leo, know that 'Da Vinci' just means 'from Vinci'. That means the guy was probably the only Leonardo from Vinci, so that he didn't need to go around telling others his last name. Much like Jesus Da Nazareth.

Leo is not impressed
Since I got to see some of Leo's work, then I get that right, peeps! The Atlantic Codex? Check. That was one smart guy. Don't ask me what the Atlantic Codex is about, though.

not a fan of this one, though, Leo.
Although I saw another one of his paintings--but in Florence--which was one of my favorites:

St. Anne, Mary, and baby Jesus---- doesn't it just melt your heart? FEEELSSSSS
3. Panzerotti

Not to be confused with Pavarotti (R.I.P.), this is the best item in the Italian food menu, in my opinion. It has all the DO's of food: fried, saucy, cheesy, FRIED. Serious, this is pure Italian goodness. My favorite dish of them all, and cheap!



4. The Language

To be able to communicate with people who speak a different language is badass. The end. I mean, yes, Spanish and Italian have a lot of things in common, but it's not the same. Case and point: none of the other Spanish speakers in the tour group could understand anything the Italians were saying. So yes, I have a gift: the gift of being able to order a boar sandwich from a food truck despite language barriers.

And getting an allergic reaction because of that boar sandwich

5. Walking
Day after day after day. For hours and hours and hours. Until your feet become a mined field.

Worst part of it all is that I only took with me two pairs of shoes: my walking boots and some flip flops. One of the flip-flops got lost at The Vatican (very holy sandal, indeed). So that means that for almost two weeks I wore the same pair of shoes.


My poor roommates.... I AM SO SORRY! I am poor and had to fly Ryanair. I had no room for another pair. You were very nice about it, but I know, I know...

Yes you were. Your eyes were watering.

6. Starving
It was the most challenging part of the trip. I had little money, to be honest, and somehow we always ended eating at really expensive restaurants. So that meant only one proper meal a day (usually lunch and usually pizza).


Dinnertime has never been so depressing, eating crackers and salami or just simply nothing. One night I went to sleep at 8 p.m. to try to forget the hunger. THAT'S SERIOUS. But I guess it teaches you to value that delicious Burger King Angus and Jalapeno Cheeseburger. Also... I lost a little weight, so can't complain 'bout that, huh?


7. Street Vendors

Being chased by street vendors is the closest I will be to being in an action film. It is stressing, you can feel the adrenaline running through you, and just run, run, run! It is terrifying. The first time it happened, in Milan, I thought some nice African guy had just given me a bracelet. BUT NO.


He followed us around for a good five minutes. I tried to give the bracelet back. He wouldn't take it. Then all those Southeast Asian people selling umbrellas, scarves, toys, etc etc etc. To be honest, when I got back to England, I avoided all people of color for a good ten minutes at the station. Then I realized they had nicer luggage and were better dressed than me. Maybe they were running away from me... I looked like a gypsy on the run with all my stuff (bad hair day).



8. Assisi

A.K.A. heaven on earth. What a place! It's a little village up in the mountains and it stole my heart. I wanted to stay forever.

This picture doesn't do it justice
 It is a place of peace and a place of beauty. Living in such a place, no wonder St. Francis and St. Clare fell in love with God. It's a bit of heaven. It's a place you gotta see before you die! Also, take lots of money with you because they sell some beautifully made leather products (and other stuff) all made in Italy (CHINA-FREE ZONE--I know, shocking!).


9. Seeing all of Florence from Piazza Michelangelo

It is absolutely mind blowing and SO EMPOWERING. After walking 10+ miles that day, going up that insanely steep climb was pure madness (might have coughed a lung out in the process). But once you get up there, it all pays off! It is marvelous and breath-taking and askldasdlfjasdgkljasdgkljasdg and you feel like... yup... a freaking champ.


10. Catholicism

TIMES A BILLION. This trip has made me UBER-CATHOLIC. Pilgrimages, visiting saints' tombs, stealing relics (debatable), religious articles, hanging out with priests and nuns, THE WORKS!

The Church is alive. The Church is thriving. The Church is AWESOME.

Someone needs confession....
Seeing the history of the church intersect with her universality was truly an inspiring experience. People from all over the world visiting these holy places, seeking with sincere hearts what the Lord had in store for them. And just seeing a bunch of Catholics have a blast is cool, too.



MORE TO COME ON THE TRIP!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment