Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cumbria, or "Everything They told you about the English Countryside is True and More"


Briefly: I went to a retreat this weekend. Nothing new, right? Wait.

I went to a retreat in the English Countryside this weekend. Let me tell you what that implied:

1. I lived here for two days
Is that Pemberley, you ask? Why, yes, yes it is. Mr. Darcy donated it to a bunch of nuns to establish a nursing home/convent called Boarbank Hall

2. And had a countryside walk that included being Elizabeth Bennet for 30 seconds (watch below from 36:36 to 37:00)



3. Three hours later, we had seen all this:









The shirt that has traveled around the world.

The town of Cartmel



Look at that date. That's right.




4. Insane amounts of tea (meaning just regular amounts of tea for British people). And biscuits. Oh, yes, in this room:
The Drawing Room is real


5. Very British meals that were delicious. And this happened:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOes8sJ-L4Q

I found myself being Mr. Collins and obsessing over the exact same potatoes.

6. We found a copy of Mrs. Gaskell's North and South that seemed to be so old, it might have actually been a first edition. So old indeed that it had no date of publication. That's one of my favorite books. And I'm actually supposed to be reading it right now for class on Tuesday.

one is never the same after John Thornton
I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO


7.  I made really good friends. Enough said.


8. And, of course, you know I've got to get my Jesus on: we had a beautiful, prayerful weekend. We had spontaneous praise and worship for a couple hours last night. As I (per usual) freaked out about the future, the Lord answered me:

"Then he asked them, 'Why are you terrified? Do you not have faith?'" Mark 4:40
"Disregarding the message that was reported, Jesus said to the synagogue official, 'Do not be afraid; just have faith'." Mark 5:36

9. As I continued in prayer, I vividly remembered the last moments of my grandma's life: My mom was reading here psalms, and the last words she heard before dying were the following from psalm 23:

"You set the table before me
in front of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Indeed, goodness and mercy will pursue me
all the days of my life;
I will dwell in the house of the Lord
for endless days." (Psalm 23:5-6)

The house of the Lord, the one she had seen a few days before, lying down in that hospital bed, the house she was almost in ecstasy about. In that moment her face relaxed and she breathed no more.

Curiously enough, there's a new Audrey Assad song with exactly these words:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9hC7CA3eU

I miss you so much, granny. A couple days ago I put on a t-shirt that I washed in your house in Guadalajara and it smelled like you, like the detergent you always used. I know where you now dwell and I know you are saving me a spot there, at the new Casa de mi Abuelita. I love you.

10. The glorious coast of the Irish Sea.

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful. I'm so glad I made a friend for life on this retreat!

    ReplyDelete